what does oil do in a car?
Is motor oil the same as motor oil?
You may have heard motor oil referred to as motor oil, or vice versa. both products are the same on the market and simply refer to any base oil substance mixed with additives (anti-wear additives, dispersants and detergents to name a few).
explanation of oil viscosity
what is synthetic oil?
- separate and lubricate moving parts
- reduce engine wear
- help prevent deposits from forming on internal engine components
- remove and suspend dirt and contaminants in the oil until these contaminants can be removed at the next oil change
- cool engine parts
- maintain fuel efficiency and performance engine
- provide protection over a wide range of temperatures
- functioning as a hydraulic system in variable valve timing
- helping to protect the emissions system
Is synthetic oil made from natural gas better?
Shell’s Pennzoil brand is known for creating the first synthetic motor oil made from natural gas. In the 1970s, Shell began researching energy sources other than crude oil, including natural gas, to make fuels and lubricants.
The process of converting natural gas to oil is very complex and has many stages, but it offers superior benefits compared to crude oil. Natural gas is very clean and free of many of the contaminants found in crude oil. when manufactured through their proprietary process, the result is a synthetic base oil that is purer and performs better than traditional base oils made from crude oil.
Through Shell’s forward-thinking culture and innovation, the company was able to develop a fully synthetic motor oil made from natural gas. This proprietary process is known as PurePlus Technology, which designs fully synthetic motor oils that provide complete protection without compromise. watch the video below for details on how this process works:
other types of motor oil
In addition to synthetic motor oil, there are three other common varieties of motor oil:
- Synthetic Blend Motor Oil – This type of oil uses a blend of synthetic and conventional base oils to provide increased oxidation resistance and improved low temperature performance.
- oil High Mileage Motor Oil – Formulated with unique additives, High Mileage Motor Oil helps reduce oil burn and prevents oil leaks that can occur in older engines. this oil is designed for newer or late model vehicles with over 75,000 miles.
- conventional motor oil: Finally, conventional motor oil comes in a variety of viscosity grades and quality levels . It meets the basic API specifications recommended by your engine manufacturer, but does not have the added performance found in synthetic motor oils.
engine oil grades
ilsac gf-6 requirements
Launched in 2020, the gf-6 will provide improved protection, better fuel economy and help reduce emissions from modern engines. pennzoil motor oils have met these requirements for api sp and ilsac gf-6, and this can now be seen on the packaging that will soon be on retail shelves. To learn more about these exciting updates, visit Pennzoil’s website.
the importance of oil change
what happens when your car runs out of oil?
- Engine Noise: When engine oil is doing its job, it will lubricate your engine parts and as a result keep your engine quiet. however, if your oil level is low or completely depleted, you may start to hear knocking or thudding noises. if this occurs, take your car in for an oil change immediately.
- Oil Smell Inside Car: An oily smell inside your car is a sign that you may have an oil leak. If you ever smell exhaust or gas, your vehicle may be overheating. in either case, you’ll want to get your car serviced as soon as possible.
- Exhaust Smoke: It’s normal for your car’s tailpipe to emit translucent mist, but if you ever notice this go up in smoke, you may have an oil leak or faulty engine parts.
- High Mileage: As stated above, most vehicles require an oil change every 3-5,000 miles, or about every 3-6 months. If you get a lot of miles in your car a month, you may want to take your car in for an oil change a little earlier to avoid problems. this is especially the case if you have an older vehicle.
- Dark colored oil: Clean oil is translucent with an amber hue. over time, it will turn a darker color due to accumulated contaminants and deposits. If you’re checking your oil and notice it’s getting dark, this is a key sign that it may be time for an oil change.
more information about car oil
For even more information on motor oil, check out the following resources from Pennzoil, America’s most trusted motor oil and the first fully synthetic motor oil made from natural gas:
- pennzoil oil selector
- pennzoil products
- how pennzoil is made from natural gas
- where to buy pennzoil
As an official supplier of lubricants to uti, shell’s pennzoil and rotella brands provide all lubricants for uti’s automotive and diesel programs. shell also provides fuel cards/visas for students and over $50,000 in annual scholarships! To learn more about how leading brands like Shell work with UTI, check out our Aftermarket Relationships page.
Do you want to pursue a career in the automotive industry?
If you’ve always had a passion for the automotive industry, you might want to consider making this your career. In uti’s 51-week automotive technology program, you’ll work on everything from simple engine systems to power and performance machines to prepare for a career as an automotive technician.1 To learn more, visit our website and request information today. same.
Wondering what types of careers auto technicians can pursue? consult our professional guide.