We know that your health is important to you.
At blue cross and blue shield of illinois (bcbsil), we have a variety of plans to meet your health care needs.
Below are the most common types of health insurance coverage offered. If you’re considering maternity coverage, dental services, or prescription drug coverage, check the plan details for different types of health insurance and specific plans to make sure you get the coverage you need.
individual health insurance for you and your family
Individual and family coverage is also known as major or comprehensive medical coverage. When you think of health insurance, this is probably the first type of health insurance you think of. covers a wide range of services. this type of health insurance coverage:
- lasts a year or more
- can usually be renewed
- meets the requirements established by the Affordable Care Act and includes:
- emergency services, hospitalization and preventive care
- maternity, newborn and pediatric care
- mental health care & substance abuse treatment
- laboratory services, prescription drugs and disease management
- rehabilitation services and devices
- may cover a wide range of dental services or just basic routine care.
- can be purchased as part of your blue cross and blue shield of illinois (bcbsil) individual and family health plan or separately as a stand-alone dental plan.
- required for children age 18 and under under the Affordable Care Act.
- part c: medicare advantage plans can be viewed as an all-in-one coverage, some with prescription drug coverage built in
- part d – prescription drug coverage that pays for approved drugs
- medicare supplemental insurance plans: can help pay for health care costs that original medicare doesn’t cover
- If you qualify, your coverage can start right away.
- for information about medicaid, visit medicaid.gov
- for the chip, visit insurekidsnow.gov or call 1-877-543-7669
See also: Internal appeals | HealthCare.gov
If you sign up for individual health insurance and family coverage, you may be able to get help paying for it with a premium tax credit or cost-sharing assistance. learn more about how to get financial help to lower your monthly bill.
Need more information about individual health insurance and family coverage? attend an event and visit us in person.
group health insurance plan
If you get your health plan through your job, this is called a group health insurance plan. also known as group coverage or group plan.
Dental insurance plans provide coverage for part of the dental costs for you and your family. this type of health insurance:
Medicare is a type of health insurance coverage for people age 65 and older, or people under age 65 with certain disabilities or illnesses.
You can add Part A (hospital) and Part B (medical) to your original Medicare to help strengthen your health insurance safety net:
need more information? attend an event and visit us in person.
medicaid and children’s health insurance (chip)
Medicaid and chip are types of free or low-cost health insurance through the government. your eligibility is based on your household size and income and is determined by the government. You can apply at any time of the year.