Today, you have a lot of things (too many things!) competing for your time and attention. But remember, achieving everything on your to-do list depends on your vehicle. One of the most important things you can do to help keep it running smoothly is preventative maintenance, including oil changes. Looking at your packed calendar, you’ll naturally want to know: “how long does an oil change take?”
An oil change is expected to take between 20 and 45 minutes. That’s a rough estimate, based on a couple of assumptions:
- you visit a place for quick lube, like jiffy lube®. The industry pioneer, Jiffy Lube is designed to handle oil changes for all types of vehicles.
- maintains your vehicle’s preventative maintenance schedule. If you’ve been following the manufacturer’s service recommendations and an oil change is part of regularly scheduled preventative maintenance, experienced jiffy lube technicians should be able to get your oil change done quickly.
what about DIY?
How long does an oil change take if you do it yourself? quick response: probably more than 45 minutes. Let’s say you do your own oil change. That means you’d probably only do four oil changes in a year, whereas every day Jiffy Lube repairs thousands of vehicles with the Jiffy Lube Signature Service® oil change, which means Jiffy Lube technicians are experienced and follow a professional and simplified process.
Here’s something else that makes a do-it-yourself oil change take longer: disposing of used oil. throwing it away is not only bad for the environment, but also illegal. therefore, DIYers should collect dirty and used oil and transport it safely to a recycling or disposal facility. Why deal with that time-consuming mess when you can take your vehicle in for a flash lube where you can feel confident that the technicians will handle the used oil responsibly?
When you consider that an oil change is likely to take longer and that your time is valuable, you may decide that the money you save by doing the oil change yourself isn’t worth it.
ask yourself “why?”
Let’s take a step back and see why oil changes are important and why your oil should be changed at least as often as recommended in your vehicle’s owner’s manual. can’t find your manual? No problem! a jiffy lube technician can access this information. motor oil helps keep your engine running clean. As it flows through the engine, avoiding friction and wear, it picks up dirt and contaminants. over time, the oil becomes saturated and sludge can form. this can lead to engine damage and costly repairs.
now the “what”.
as in “what happens during an oil change?” During an oil change from Jiffy Lube’s exclusive service, trained technicians will do more than just pour new motor oil into your engine. The service is a comprehensive preventive maintenance checkup for your entire vehicle.
These are the four steps of a jiffy lube exclusive service oil change:
- oil, of the type, weight and volume recommended by the manufacturer. Jiffy Lube is proud to pour Pennzoil® products, where available, that meet or exceed manufacturer’s recommendations
- oil filter
- exterior windows and mirrors
- vacuum interior floors
- antifreeze/coolant levels
- engine air filtration
- brake fluid level (in clear reservoirs)
- wiper blades
- exterior lights
- chassis (lubricate where available)
- tire pressure
- transmission fluid
- differential/transfer case fluid
- power steering fluid
- Wiper fluid
- Battery water (excluding sealed battery)
After completing these four steps, the technician will be happy to place a sticker in the upper left corner of your windshield to remind you when your next oil change is. Or, if your vehicle has an in-dash message center that displays oil life, the monitor will reset to reflect the new engine oil change.